It is that time of year again! Who is ready to catch some shad? I know I am, and with the water on the St. Johns River dropping quickly, it seems like some of us are getting out there early to do some waterfowl hunting and fishing. I have decided to open up the contest early this year to generate some excitement and to see if someone can bag an elusive November Shad! Also, it might provide an opportunity for someone new to join the ranks of our three champions, Suede Langston, Cas Summers, and Steele Doxtater, all of which now have TWO wins each! Can it be done? Will someone do it with a November Shad? Only time will tell, so get out there and do some fishing!
This year’s winner will receive their choice of a $100 gift certificate to Orlando Outfitters, or a box of shad flies tied by yours truly, AND for a second year, will receive a limited-edition Shad on the Fly long sleeved PFG jersey!
But wait, there is MORE! Act now and DOUBLE your First Shad of the Season Contest winnings! That’s right, catch an elusive November Shad by 11/30/2023 and win a $200 gift certificate to Orlando Outfitters, the limited-edition Shad on the Fly long sleeved PFG jersey, PLUS an exclusive Shad on the Fly neck gaiter! 🙂
If a fish is not caught by 11/30/2023, the prize reverts to the original offering.
First Shad of the Season Contest 2023/2024 Rules:
- The contest begins November 11, 2023 and ends once I have confirmed a winner
- This is a catch, photograph and release contest
- To be eligible you must:
- Be a member of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group. Membership is free, but the Facebook group is a closed group so you must request to be added as a member
- Download the Shad on the Fly 2023/ 2024 Official Token image above and print it out in color. You may trim it down to size.
Alternatively, you can save it to your cell phone and use your phone to display the token as long as it is CLEARLY visible (just don’t drop it in the water!)
- To win you must:
- Catch a shad (American or Hickory) in a river or tributary, using a fly rod and fly
- Be the first person to upload a picture of the fish, fly reel, and fly with the Official Token clearly visible in the image to the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group
- Must share the general location you caught the fish (e.g. downstream of Mullet Lake, Upstream of Lake Harney, C.S. Lee near the Econ, etc.)
- I reserve the sole right to select the winner and will message them in Facebook to get their address and mail the prize, or setup a meetup on the water if possible. Whatever works best for the winner
Official Facebook Stuff:
The Shad on the Fly- First Shad of the Season Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook. Participants understand that they are providing their information to the owner of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group, and not to Facebook.