As the great MMA announcer Bruce Buffer says, IT’S TIME for this season’s First Shad of the Season Contest. Let’s face it… I should probably just send Cas Summers or Steele Doxtater the hundred bucks right now, because they continue to dominate year after year. Will the high water from hurricanes Ian and Nicole change anything? With most of the boat ramps still closed, it seems drop-in vessels might have a slight advantage, but Cas has no problem winning by canoe. Can anyone beat them? Will anyone beat them? Only time will tell, but if you even want to stand a chance at winning, you need to get out there and fish, NOW!
This year’s winner will receive their choice of a $100 gift certificate to Orlando Outfitters, or a box of shad flies tied by yours truly, AND for the first time ever, will receive a limited-edition Shad on the Fly long sleeved PFG jersey!
First Shad of the Season Contest 2022/2023 Rules:
- The contest begins December 03, 2022 and ends once I have confirmed a winner
- This is a catch, photograph and release contest
- To be eligible you must:
- Be a member of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group. Membership is free, but the Facebook group is a closed group so you must request to be added as a member
- Download the Shad on the Fly 2022/ 2023 Official Token image above and print it out in color. You may trim it down to size.
Alternatively, you can save it to your cell phone and use your phone to display the token as long as it is CLEARLY visible (just don’t drop it in the water!)
- To win you must:
- Catch a shad using a fly rod and fly
- Be the first person to upload a picture of the fish, fly reel, and fly with the Official Token clearly visible in the image to the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group
- Must share the general location you caught the fish (e.g. downstream of Mullet Lake, Upstream of Lake Harney, C.S. Lee near the Econ, etc.)
- I reserve the sole right to select the winner, and will message them in Facebook to get their address and mail the prize, or setup a meetup on the water if possible. Whatever works best for the winner
Official Facebook Stuff:
The Shad on the Fly- First Shad of the Season Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook. Participants understand that they are providing their information to the owner of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group, and not to Facebook.
Hi. Finding your website was a pleasant surprise. Thank you. Of course, I am hopeful that you can provide a report about any shad run. Are they here? With gratitude for sharing your experience,
They are beginning to be caught on the St. Johns River. It has been spotty, but they are indeed here. I encourage you to join the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group for more “real time” reports.