We have our winner! Congratulations to Steele Doxtater, for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!!!! This is the first year we have had a back-to-back winner for the First Shad of the Season Contest, so not only did Steele win, he’s making history! Similar to last year, Steele caught this beauty near Marina Isle while fishing with the 2018/2019 contest winner, Cas Summers. These guys play to win, and they know Shad Alley like its their own backyard! Way to go Steele, congratulations AGAIN!
Let’s get the 2020/ 2021 shad fishing season started, with this season’s First Shad of the Season Contest! I have decided to start the contest in November to see if we can coax competitors to get on the water early and catch a coveted November shad! The winner will receive their choice of a $100 gift certificate to Orlando Outfitters, or a box of shad flies tied by yours truly!
First Shad of the Season Contest 2020/2021 Rules:
- The contest begins November 6, 2020 and ends once I have confirmed a winner
- This is a catch, photograph and release contest
- To be eligible you must:
- Be a member of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group. Membership is free, but the Facebook group is a closed group so you must request to be added as a member
- Download the Shad on the Fly 2020/ 2021 Official Token image above and print it out in color. You may trim it down to size.
Alternatively, you can save it to your cell phone and use your phone to display the token as long as it is CLEARLY visible (just don’t drop it in the water!)
- To win you must:
- Catch a shad using a fly rod and fly
- Be the first person to upload a picture of the fish, fly reel, and fly with the Official Token clearly visible in the image to the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group
- Must share the general location you caught the fish (e.g. downstream of Mullet Lake, Upstream of Lake Harney, C.S. Lee near the Econ, etc.)
- I will message the winner in Facebook to get their address and mail the prize, or setup a meetup on the water if possible. Whatever works best for the winner
Official Facebook Stuff:
The Shad on the Fly- First Shad of the Season Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook. Participants understand that they are providing their information to the owner of the Shad on the Fly Facebook Group, and not to Facebook.
Philippe Richen from the Orlando Kayak Fishing Club (OKFC) Facebook Group was nice enough to invite me to be the guest speaker for their Facebook Live Fishing Seminar #3 on December 5, 2019. This is a High Definition recording of my presentation. Topics include:
What types of rods, reels, and lines do you need to fish for shad?
2. Flies/ Lures
What types of flies and lures are effective for catching shad?
How to find fish and what to do to catch them
4. Preparing for the Season
What I do to get ready for the shad season
5. Where will I fish this year???
The places I plan to visit to fish for shad this year
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that came out to Orlando Outfitters to tie some shad flies with me last night. I had a great time! Here are some pictures from the event…
Hello to all of my fellow shad fanatics! T.J Bettis was kind enough to invite me to teach a fly tying class for shad flies at Orlando Outfitters on 10/22/2019 at 5:45pm. This is perfect timing, as I usually start to get the bug in late October and sit down at the vice to replace what I lost the prior year! If you live in the Central Florida area, come on out and join us for a fun evening!